I pack my son a fresh school lunch every day. Each Friday, I pick one lunch from the week to share with you- the Friday Featured Lunch. These featured lunches are meant to give you inspiration of new things to make and try with your kids. Plus, all featured lunches include the carbohydrate breakdown of each food item, so that you can easily add/remove items to accommodate your child’s likes/dislikes.
Here’s this week’s featured lunch, assembled inside a LunchBots container:
Taco Soup (recipe below)= 24 carbs
Fresh Fruit (grapes, strawberries & pineapple)= 15 carbs
Garden of Eatin’ Blue Corn Tortilla Chips= 11 carbs
Leaf & Love Organic Lemonade Juice Box= 2 carbs
Lifeway Organic ProBug= 10 carbs
Lunch Total= 62 carbohydrates
For more lunchbox ideas, complete with carb counts, visit my Pinterest board: FPG Featured Lunches.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 10-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 2 16-ounce cans kidney beans, drained
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, green onions, tortilla chips
- Brown ground beef with onion, garlic, and salt & pepper. Drain fat.
- Add all remaining ingredients (except optional toppings) and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, green onions, and tortilla chips, if desired.