In an attempt to cater to those of you who have very young children with type 1 diabetes, I have created a “Toddler Tuesday” series. Each Tuesday, I pick one of my toddler daughter’s meals from the week to share with you- the Toddler Tuesday Meal. These featured meals are meant to give you inspiration of new things to make and try for those of you with younger kids. Plus, all featured meals include the carbohydrate breakdown of each food item, so that you can easily add/remove items to accommodate your child’s likes/dislikes.
Here’s this week’s Toddler Tuesday meal, assembled inside an innobaby container:
Santa Fe Bean & Barley Salad (recipe below)= 10 carbs
Greek Yogurt with Banana Slices & Hi-FiBar Pumpkin Spice Orange Granola= 11 carbs
Fresh Fruit (mandarin oranges, grapes & pomegranate seeds)= 3 carbs
Veggie Straws= 2.5 carbs
Pickles= 0.5 carbs
Meal Total= 27 carbohydrates
For more toddler meal ideas, complete with carb counts, visit my Pinterest board: Toddler Tuesdays.
- 1/2 cup quick pearled barley, uncooked
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 white onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro. finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 15 ounce can corn, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Juice & zest of 1/2 lime
- Cook barley according to package instructions.
- In a large bowl combine diced tomatoes, red bell pepper, onions, cilantro, garlic salt, cumin and chili powder.
- Add black beans and corn to the mixture, and mix.
- Toss mixture with cooked barley.
- Add lime juice and zest, and mix thoroughly.
- Season with salt & pepper, if desired.
- Keep refrigerated for up to 5 days.