I confess. I thought I was ready and prepared for a new school year. Boy, was I wrong. For the past 2 1/2 weeks when I lay down to bed at night I feel like I’ve been run over by a bus. And when my alarm goes off in the middle of the night to check C, and the final one signaling it’s time to get up, each time I feel like the bus flipped it into reverse and ran back over me a few more times.
The pace of our days during the summer was pretty leisurely- I admit we were spoiled. During summer I got a break from the morning scramble of trying to get 5 people (who are not morning people) up and ready for the day all at once. Let’s just say about a week into the school year I was not-so gently reminded of the school grind.
With each passing day we’re settling into our new routine, and thankfully the kids have adjusted better than me. To help get back into the swing of things I like to do small things the night before to help our mornings go smoother, such as; laying out clothes, prepping as much of their lunches as I can, and having a game plan for what I’m going to serve them for breakfast.
I’ve been trying to step up my breakfast game this year with heartier breakfast options. C eats lunch about an hour later than he has in previous years and he’s convinced he’s starving by lunchtime every day. I tell him to count himself lucky that he has a snack built into his morning. He’s not convinced.
These Breakfast Burritos are the perfect low carb, protein packed way to start their day. They come together super quick and are absolutely delicious! You can even make a plateful the night before and just store them in the refrigerator, covered in plastic wrap, and warm them in the morning. It doesn’t get any easier or more delicious than these!
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup chopped veggies of choice (bell peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, etc)
- Cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- 8 slices ham
- In a skillet that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, saute the veggies for a couple of minutes until tender.
- In a small bowl whisk the eggs, and cheese (if using). Add whisked egg to the veggie mixture and scramble until cooked through.
- Place ham slices (2 for each "burrito") on a flat surface and divide egg mixture evenly onto the slices. Roll up the ham slice around the egg mixture, creating a burrito.
- Return ham rolls to the pan for a quick browning on top and bottom.
Nutritional information calculations will vary depending on type of ham and veggies used. However, each breakfast burrito will likely be under 5 carbs per serving.