I find that my cooking desires go in cycles. Sometimes I feel like making extravagant foods with lots of ingredients and experimenting. Other times I’m all about simplicity. I’m currently in a simplicity mode- trying to see what greatness can come from very few ingredients.
So when I saw these mozzarella sticks, they had me at “two ingredient”. I went right out and got the ingredients and I’m here to tell you…they are to.die.for!
I made them in the afternoon and enjoyed them with my boys as an after school snack. The vote was unanimous…TWO THUMBS UP!
Now you might be thinking that 16 carbs is a lot for just one mozzarella stick, but 1 is quite filling. That’s not to say you won’t want two, but they are surprisingly filling.
You could serve these with a side of marinara sauce as well. However, we just ate them plain and I didn’t feel a dip was needed.
Try them for yourselves! After taking one bite, you simply won’t believe that it only took two ingredients to make the deliciousness that are these mozzarella sticks!
Recipe source: averiecooks.com.
- 1 egg roll wrapper
- 1 mozzarella sting cheese stick
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with a Silpat or spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- Place cheese stick about 1 inch from the margin of the wrapper, fold the sides in, and roll up as tightly as possible. Place the bundle seam side down on baking tray.
- Optionally, very lightly spray or brush with olive oil.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes and remove tray from oven.
- Optionally, spray/brush with additional olive oil and flip stick to ensure it browns evenly on both sides.
- Return to oven and bake for about 5 to 8 additional minutes, or until golden brown or done to taste. Keep an eye on your sticks in the final moments of baking, and if you notice any leaking or bursting, remove from oven immediately.
- Sticks are best warm and fresh; serve immediately.
Each serving (1 mozzarella stick) has approximately 16g of carbs.
160 Calories; 6g Total Fat; 9g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 2g Sugar.