For me, breakfast, lunches & snacks are the easiest meals to prepare & make diabetic friendly. My husband eats at work, so I don’t have to worry about making him anything for breakfast or lunch, and with my little guy still at home I just make both of our lunches at the same time. So for C’s lunches and breakfast’s I am somewhat of a short order cook, which works out fine for the time being. Although, I do admit that some days all I feel like I have done is prepare food around the clock.
Dinners around here, though, can be a bit more challenging. That is one meal in which I do not want to be a short order cook. I want to make one thing that the entire family can eat. So after being super carb conscious for C’s breakfast, lunch & snacks; dinner is the the meal that we typically let him indulge in some higher carb foods. However, it seems to never fail that the day I plan a pasta dish (or any higher carb meal), that is when we have blood sugar issues going in to the meal. Then I have to ditch the “plan” and make a “hodge podge” meal (the name we have given to having to quickly throw together random low carb foods to make a meal, even if the ingredients don’t necessarily “go together”, etc).
In an attempt to avoid hodge podge meals I try to always plan lower carb dinners for the week and have them on hand. This Chicken Parmesan Meatloaf is the perfect example of that. It is a low carb meal that can be prepared quickly, with ingredients you can keep on hand, and it’s a meal the entire family can enjoy. It is absolutely delicious too! Both of my kids devour their helpings every time I make it.
What go-to low carb meals do you like to keep on hand?
Recipe source: whatscookinglove.com.
- 1lb ground chicken
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine the ground chicken, egg, breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, garlic, and Parmesan cheese. Mix the mixture with your hands. Place into a greased loaf pan and form the chicken mixture into a loaf shape. Top the meatloaf with the marinara sauce.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until chicken is cooked. When done remove and add the mozzarella cheese on top. Return the meatloaf to the oven until the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and let the meatloaf rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Each serving (1 slice of meatloaf) has approximately 10g of carbs and 0.8g of dietary fiber. Total NET CARBS= 9.2g.
258.2 Calories; 12.7g Total Fat; 23.7g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 0.8g Dietary Fiber; 2g Sugar.