I know I have mentioned before that my kids both love oatmeal. And I love giving it to them! Serving them up a warm bowl of hearty oatmeal, with a side of fruit, in the morning is a great start to their day. I’m always looking for ways to switch it up for them so that they don’t get bored with it. I saw this recipe for Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Oatmeal and thought it looked absolutely delicious.
C doesn’t like raisins, so I left them out of his, which was just fine because it lowered the carb totals. It was just as good without the raisins- it tasted more like a snickerdoodle cookie instead of an oatmeal raisin cookie.
This was also the first time I have ever made oatmeal in my crock-pot. It was SO easy! I just dumped my ingredients in and forgot about it. I also loved this recipe because not only can you make it ahead of time (which is really helpful on busy mornings), you can easily store the leftovers in the fridge. Just add some water or milk before you reheat it and it will be just as good as it was fresh out of the crock-pot. You could also pack this in your child’s lunch, in a thermos.
If you have oatmeal lovers in your house, try this recipe ASAP!
Recipe source: chocolatecoveredkatie.com.
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 1/2 teaspoon + 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 to 1 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Lightly grease the bottom of the crock pot, then add first 5 ingredients and stir. Cook on low for 2-3 hours. Turn off heat, then add the vanilla, sweetener of choice, and any other toppings or mix-ins you wish.
- Bring the milk to a boil and then add the next four ingredients. Lower to a simmer, and simmer 20-25 minutes or until thick. Then stir in the vanilla, sweetener, and other toppings of choice.
- You can store leftovers in the fridge – it’s a good idea to add a little extra liquid (milk or water) when reheating.
Makes 8 (1/2 cup) servings. Each serving (1/2 cup) has approximately 29.7g of carbs and 3g of dietary fiber. Total NET CARBS= 26.7g.
164 Calories; 2.2g Total Fat; 5.9g Protein; 29.7g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 15.6g Sugar.
*I know in the post I mentioned I omitted the raisins in C's serving. However, the above calculations include raisins.