We are just a little over one week into our summer break here, and boy were we all ready for it! There are so many things I look forward to about summer days. One of many being the slower pace in the mornings. Now that I can officially cross lunch packing off of my morning duties, I like to channel that energy into making a more elaborate breakfast, instead of the quick breakfasts that the school year tends to necessitate.
I decided to try these breakfast kebobs and my boys absolutely LOVED them! They ate every last bite of their kebob and were asking for seconds before I was even done assembling the rest of the skewers.
They are quick to make and a well-rounded and better yet, low carb, breakfast I can feel good about giving my kiddos to jump-start their day.
You can make as many or as few of these as your family needs. Do note that the recipe for the baked eggs will make quite a few mini egg cups. Just serve additional egg cups on the side, or refrigerate leftovers for the next morning.
You can adapt the ingredients to your own child’s likes. For instance, add another kind of fruit, or choose a different kind of cheese and meat. I’m certain you’ll find a combination that will leave your kiddos asking for seconds!
Recipe source: mamitalks.com.
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Fresh Strawberries
- Deli turkey breast
- Colby cheese slices
- Mini muffin tin
- Wooden skewers
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Crack the eggs into mixing bowl and mix them well with the salt and milk.
- Spray a mini muffin tin with the nonstick cooking spray.
- Pour in the egg mixture, filling the tins about 3/4 full.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes. Take the eggs out of the oven. Let them sit for 2 minutes.
- Wash the strawberries. Cut in halves.
- Cut the cheese into thin little squares (not too thin, remember they will be passed through the wooden skewer).
- Toast the waffles.
- Assembles the skewers. Thread the ingredients one by one. I like to assemble them like this; waffle, egg cup, cheese slice, turkey & fruit. Repeat each ingredient twice and end with a strawberry.
2 mini waffles= 6 carbs
1 baked egg cup= 0 carbs
1 medium strawberry= 1 carb
2 slices deli turkey breast= 0 carbs
2 slices Colby cheese= 0 carbs
1 kebob= Approximately 7 carbohydrates